And the Why is … *drumroll*…
The fact is that the Church of Scientology is in trouble, real trouble.
There is an inquiry in Australia, a raid in Italy, a ban in Russia (a sad tale of suppression of free speech), court cases in the US and elsewhere and news stories damning the culture of authoritarian and violent leadership coming from the very top of the church. And several high profile Scientologists leaving flanked by scores of top OTs. I’d say the church is heading for implosion.
There is plenty of analysis and speculations on other blogs and forums. A ruling sentiment is that David Miscavige is not the root cause of the problems of the church. I agree, and while I’m not the one to serve you a wall-o-text, I will simply serve my own conclusions with a few examples as catalysts:
- David Miscavige is the main reason for the long down-trend statistics since the summer of 1990. He made a rigid and authoritarian organization much worse.
- L. Ron Hubbard let David Miscavige grab power within the church.
- Church policy and culture made it possible for David Miscavige to capture the position of dictator and Dear Leader.
- L. Ron Hubbard’s auditor – the man who saved his life, Senior C/S International David Mayo, was declared a Suppressive Person by the will of both David Miscavige and L. Ron Hubbard
Some logic to back this up:
- If David Miscavige is an excellent leader, then Policy must be flawed to run the Church into this much trouble.
- If David Miscavige is an SP, then LRH or Policy must be flawed to allow him to rise to the position of a church leader.
- If David Mayo was an SP, then either LRH or the SP/PTS tech must be flawed to allow him to rise to the position of Senior C/S International.
- If David Mayo was an excellent Tech person, then Policy and/or the SP/PTS tech must be flawed to let him be declared a Suppressive Person.
And then a few conclusions:
- David Miscavige and David Mayo cannot both have risen to power in a Church were the founder, his tech, his ethics and his policy were all adequate.
- The trouble in the church predates David Miscavige.
- I believe the church turned a corner in the late 60’s where it became an authoritarian organization bent on self preservation at the expense of human rights.
- LRH was a man. He was not perfect. Some seems to believe he was.
Others seems obsessed with his imperfections. He did create abusive policies – policies that has caused much harm, like forced disconnections. Such must be canceled. I believe the creation of abusive policies is the Why for the troubles of the church.
- “A real Why opens the door to handling.” (LRH)
- I believe Admin (the church policy) should be rewritten – continually to accommodate for the learning process of the organization.
- I believe Ethics should be taken back to a personal level and not be applied as a group tech.
- I believe Tech should be delivered by anyone in competition with the church and let the free market take care of the rights of the consumer. Industry standards organizations can take care of accreditations if the consumer believes that to be of value.
- I believe the tech should be made freely available to everyone so that anyone who wants can take what works for him or her.
- I believe the tech can be of great value to many.
A graphic description of the current CoS: